UPDATE ON PASTORAL CANDIDATE COMING TO ORONAZ ON JULY 22, 2018 DURING BOTH MORNING SERVICES
Posted on July 10, 2018
Working together, with our District Superintendent Steve Scott, the search team has been receiving applications. Recently, in the past couple of months, we have moved into doing interviews. We have received an application from Pastor Kurt Libby, as well as a couple of other candidates. We have decided to do multiple interviews before voting to recommend any candidate to the congregation.
Back in May, Pastor Kurt completed his interview. In June Pastor Kurt was granted a sabbatical for personal rest, spiritual renewal and professional development. He has been working on getting this scheduled for over a year and the timing seemed right during this summer. OroNaz has a history of granting sabbaticals to full-time staff Pastors after seven or more years of service. This is also in line with our District recommendations.Pastor Kurt will return to his regular duties in September. Please continue to pray for Kurt, Rhonda and their two children.
The search team has recently completed a Skype interview with a second candidate, Kevin O’Brien. The search team has decided to invite Kevin O’Brien, his wife Anh, and two of their three children to visit us at OroNaz the weekend of July 20 – 22, 2018. During this weekend visit the search team will conduct its official interview, the candidate will meet with our staff, get a chance to visit our community, preach in both services Sunday morning, and bring a short message Sunday night regarding his ministry mission and values during an ice cream social at 6pm. All are invited and welcome to come.
We have posted some information on Pastor Kevin O’Brien for your review. More information will be available during the weekend visit. Please pray and plan to be with us as we seek God’s plan for our future here at OroNaz.
Also, please continue to be in prayer for the Pastoral Search committee that is working diligently to know the mind and heart of God as we work on calling our next Lead Pastor.
Pastor Ed, Interim Pastor
MORE INTERIM INFORMATION…
Following the retirement of lead pastor Dennis Day in January of 2018, our church is now in an interim season. Pastor Ed Redfern has been appointed as the interim pastor to help lead our church through this time.
The church board is working with Steve Scott, our district superintendent, in accordance with the Nazarene Manual to call a new lead pastor following the interim.
Please be in prayer for our board members as they steward this season.
Steve Scott was with us on February 25th and preached in both services. Following each service, he shared information regarding the local church pastoral search procedure.
This page will be updated as more information is available.
If you have any questions that are not addressed here, please email email@example.com and it will be answered either by Pastor Ed or one of our board members.
PASTOR KEVIN O’BRIEN
Visiting OroNaz as a Pastoral Candidate on Sunday, July 22, 2018 during both morning service and that evening at 6pm.
Ministry & Professional Experiences
- Ordained Elder, Church of the Nazarene (2001, Northwest District)
- Spiritual Care Coordinator/Healthcare Chaplain, Crossroads Hospice, Lenexa, KS, Lead Chaplain.
- Children’s Pastor, Christ Community Church (Nazarene), Olathe, KS
- Pastor, Whitefish Church of the Nazarene Whitefish MT
- Pastor, Augusta Church of the Nazarene, Augusta, ME
- Chaplain & Bereavement Coordinator, NorthCare Hospice & Palliative Care, Kansas City, MO
- Pastor, Jacoby Chapel Presbyterian Church, Warrensburg, MO
- Youth Pastor, Southside United Methodist Church, Nampa, ID
- Intern, Nampa First Church of the Nazarene, Nampa, ID
- U.S. Navy veteran
I have a lovely and supportive wife (Anh) whose multicultural background has been indispensable for developing a pluralistic ministry approach as we proclaim the Gospel and inspire discipleship together at home, in the church and community. We met in high school (at church!) and have devoted our lives to Christ and pursuing the Lord’s calling together. We have been married for about 28 years, and our three children are models of God’s grace: Michael is 26, an engineer in San Diego, graduate of ENC whose passion is rock climbing and growing a young family; Joshua is 19, an avid downhill mountain biker and Ministry Major at MidAmerican Nazarene University; Phoebe is our beautiful daughter, 10 years old, who loves volleyball and music. We are thankful for our many blessings as a family and look forward to sharing our love for the Lord and His Word along with what we have learned in life with our church.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Hebrew Bible, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
- PostGranduate/Doctoral Coursework, Comparative Religion, University of Missouri-Kansas City, MO
- Master of Arts, Theological Studies, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas CIty, MO
- Bachelor of Arts, Religion, Northwest Nazarene University, Nampa, ID
- Biblical Preaching: Inspirational, Engaging, Applicable, Relevant
- Visitation & Congregational Care
- Evangelism & Discipleship
- Leadership Development
- Ministerial Preparation: Equipping Learners for Service to Christ and His Church; Discipleship
- Management Approach: Christ-like, Servant-leadership, Collaborative